Former champions Cain Velasquez and Frank Mir will battle for the chance to meet the winner of Junior Dos Santos and Alistair Overeem, who battle in the night’s main event. UFC officials also announced another heavyweight clash pitting Roy “Big Country” Nelson against Strikeforce import Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva.
This will be the first fight for Velasquez since losing his title in 64 seconds to current champion Dos Santos. Prior to that loss, Velasquez acquired a 9-0 professional record with 8 stoppage victories, including a first round TKO of Brock Lesnar. Frank Mir on the other hand is riding a 3 fight win streak with wins over Mirko Cro Cop, Roy Nelson and a viscious submission victory over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. The Velasquez vs. Mir fight is expected to take the co-main event slot on the Pay-Per-View broadcast.
Nelson has lost 3 of his last 4 contests with his only win in that span coming against Mirko Cro Cop. His losses have come against current champ Junior Dos Santos, former champion Frank Mir and former Strikeforce heavyweight Fabricio Werdum. Silva, although coming off a knockout loss to Daniel Cormier, had previously earned himself a 3 fight win streak with victories over Fedor Emelianenko, Mike Kyle and Andrei Arlovksi. The Nelson vs. Silva fight is expected to be on the main card portion of the Pay-Per-View broadcast.
The most recent UFC 146 fight card is as follows:
- UFC Heavyweight Championship: Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem
- #1 Contenders Fight: Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez
- Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
- Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
- Dan Hardy vs. Duane “Bang” Ludwig
- Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
- C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason “Mayhem” Miller
- Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
- Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
- Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann