Rashad Evans and Matt Mitrione Turned Down Fight Offers

EvansRashad Evans revealed on the UFC on FUEL TV post-fight show Saturday night that he did in fact turn down a fight with Glover Teixeira. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson was originally on tap to take on the PIT and Chuck Liddell’s protege, but had to withdraw due to injury. Fabio Maldonado accepted the fight vs. Teixeira which is set for the main card at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Oct 13.

Evans  took to Twitter to further explain why he’d turned down the bout. Below are his tweets posted in the same order he tweeted them:

 

 

 

 

Evans hasn’t fought since losing to Jon Jones at UFC 145 in April. Rumors have circulated that he may return to the Octagon by November or December.

In addition, UFC President Dana White spoke to reporters following the UFC on FUEL TV 5′s press conference this past Saturday and spoke out about Matt “Meathead” Mitrione declining to fight Daniel Cormier as a replacement for Frank Mir in the main event on Strikeforce’s Nov. 3rd card.

“We’re gonna get somebody for Cormier, I don’t know when,” White stated. He added that Mitrione turning the fight down “makes me sick.”

“Listen you don’t want big opportunities, I hear you. I get it then, I get it, you don’t want big opportunities,” White added. “All I can say I guess is he doesn’t want big opportunities. I get it. Duly noted.”

Interestingly enough, Mitrione had previously campaigned to fight in a lighter weight class and take on “Rampage”, but he wouldn’t step up for Cormier who fights in the same weight class he’s in. “He wants to fight a guy that weighs 205, but doesn’t want to fight the guy who’s the real heavyweight, who’s a legitimate heavyweight, who’s ranked,” White said.

In the meantime, Cormier has embarked on a Twitter campaign with Pat “HD” Barry to see if they can set up a fight between the two of them.

Is it uncertain if this fight would actually happen, but it would be a great style matchup pitting Barry, a stand out kickboxer, against Cormier, a stand out wrestler. Cormier’s also answered fans on Twitter about other possibilities. He responded to one tweet saying he’d be “OK” taking on Roy Nelson. Cormier also said he “wasn’t sure” if a bout between him and former Strikeforce heavyweight, Fabricio Werdum, could happen.

Follow me on Twitter @HeidiFang Follow the show on Twitter @fightcorner

Your Turn To Talk

Your email address will not be published.