Strikeforce released an official announcement regarding their November 3rd show that was set to feature Daniel Cormier in his last Strikeforce fight in the main event, Luke Rockhold defending the middleweight title in the co-main event, the debut of Sara McMann and more. Following the injuries and subsequent withdraws of McMann, Rockhold and Frank Mir who was supposed to fight Cormier, Strikeforce has decided to cancel the event.
Daniel Cormier wasn’t told directly about the situation from Strikeforce officials according to the fighter who gave his reaction on the matter to MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani.
“I wish somebody would have told me something. This is unbelievable. I’m very upset. I just want to be informed. That’s all. I don’t think that’s asking for too much,” Cormier said.
In the official release from Strikeforce, they said they will plan its next card set to air live on SHOWTIME® in January 2013. Further information on the fight card and location will be announced shortly.
“Due to a series of injuries, we were forced to cancel the upcoming card on Nov. 3, but are already working to put together a stacked card in January,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said.
“While we’re disappointed with the cancellation, we are looking forward to an even bigger Strikeforce event on Strikeforce early next year,” said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Strikeforce Sports® .
The axed event may also delay Daniel Cormier’s UFC debut. It was said that following his last fight under the Strikeforce banner that he’d enter the UFC. Cormier has been on the shelf since winning the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix in May 2012. He remains one of the only heavyweights in Strikeforce after the division was dissolved and most of the other heavyweights were brought into the UFC at the beginning of last year.
It’s unknown if the cancelled event will also flatline the promotion’s deal with Showtime in the near future.